Skip to main content

How do I feel about new people jumping into my life ?

Until quite recently, my first feeling when new people jumped into my life was - "Attention!" (as in the position that soldiers are supposed to stand in during inspections or before they begin marching).

I am no longer that 'jumpy' around new people, but still I'm initially somewhat guarded.

I am not somebody who makes friends quickly. I get uncomfortable with people who get friendly too much too soon with me. Also, I cannot approach an unknown person just to make friends. If the other person takes the first step forward, I do respond, politely and kindly, but not very enthusiastically. I take a lot of time to get on back-slapping terms with people. Those whose patience can last that long do gain a fiercely loyal friend in me. Only they get to see my crazy sense of humour, my fun-side and also my vulnerability.

I have, several times, attempted to understand why this is so. So far, the answer that I have arrived at is that I feel vulnerable and I like to be in control of myself and thus prevent or delay occasions, situations or relationships where my vulnerability will be exposed. I think this arises from being insecure about oneself.

Over the last two years I see myself getting more and more secure within myself (by design, not by accident) and thus, I am less uncomfortable around new people.

I guess the reason why I can share this personal information publicly on the blog is perhaps thanks to the anonymity my blog allows me.

The single example that stands out in my memory of a person who jumped into my life is that of my (now) dearest friend Aa.

TH (TH = The Husband, for the newcomers to the blog) and I were facing tough times in life. We were jointly facing some situations and thus were both in a bad mental state. We were really down and out. The only solace in an otherwise oppressive existence was our continued involvement in theatre. We met Aa when we were doing a play, TH as the music director and I as the actress in it, with a group to which Aa used to belong. Aa was always cheerful, happy, positive and motivating. TH used to be outwardly calm and inside quite depressed. I was outwardly shut off and inside very depressed. That didn't make a difference to Aa at all. It was almost as if he didn't notice those things. He quickly appointed himself as our friend and well-wisher and continued becoming friendlier by the day. TH warmed up and opened up to him. I, on the other hand, used to be terribly bothered by Aa's spiritual advice, assurances that eventually everything would become better, his positive outlook on everything and his happy countenance. The thing that I resented the most that he was getting friendly too-much-too-soon. It was a lot more than I liked. Yet, for politeness' sake I bore it quietly and, privately and frequently, complained to TH.

Gradually, actually without realising when and how, I too opened my heart to Aa's positivism. And life began to change. Maybe I just needed a change of perspective for my life to begin changing. But Aa was the catalyst. We became friends, then good friends and now we count each other as family.

So all in all, despite my initial strong resistance, this one person did succeed in jumping into my life and it was really one of the best things to have happened to me :)

****************************

I didn't last even a week ! I knew that this time it was going to be challenging to post daily, yet I did manage on the two worst days in the first week of the NaBloPoMo June challenge.

Yesterday, however, I had to travel and had neither access to Internet nor the time to write a post. I returned home post-midnight to an Internet connection, but the date had already changed :(

Nevertheless I'm going to continue writing daily for the rest of the month and carry the badge as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How NOT to compère a function

Recently I attended an awards ceremony. It was a grand function with a huge audience in attendance. Many awards were given and some speeches too. The compère was, unintentionally, terribly funny ! In this function, when the compère announced the first award winner, he announced, “Please welcome on stage Mr. X (pause) married to (pause) wife Mrs. X (pause) from 1977 and successfully (pause) completed 32 years of (pause) married life…” I had tears in my eyes from laughing too hard :D Later, the same compère, while telling the audiences about a certain award winner, said, “…he is married (pause) to wife Mrs. Z (pause) and enjoys playing with his (pause) children K and M. His favourite (pause) holiday destination is (pause) the beaches (pronounced as ‘bitches’) of (pause) Goa” I nearly died choking with laughter for this one ! In the 45 minutes that he was on stage he was responsible for much hilarity due to his totally inappropriate commentary. I, of course, laughed my guts out and what c

‘Geographically challenged’

I laughed my guts out while reading this . Then I had another bout of laughter thinking of all the incidents that happen with me. For a long time now I have known that I am, what I like to call, ‘geographically challenged’ :) Situation 1 - If I go inside a building (happens mostly with residential buildings), then after I exit the lift (elevator) or come down the stairs, I cannot quickly locate the gate ! Situation 2 - If I am inside a building, I will routinely point in wrong directions to indicate places outside the building. Situation 3 - I am presently at office. I have come here from home. Now I have to go to some place where I have always gone from home and never from office. What do I do ? I go home first and from there I go to that place. It doesn’t matter if it is a longer distance or takes more time. I have to do this, because simply have no mechanism to re-align my mental map to my present location ! Situation 4 - Another thing is that if I have come to your place in

Love in the rains :)

Heart shaped ditch on a construction site next to our office building ! Closer view of the 'heart' ! You can find love in the most unusual places ! :)