Skip to main content

That feeling of helplessness...


Yesterday morning I left home later than usual, to go to office. It had been raining and the roads were wet and in some places slippery due to the mud. There was a massive traffic jam…actually bumper-to-bumper as they say. Due to the rains the vehicles were driving very slowly. Mercifully people’s tempers were quite calm and there was no honking or desperation to get ahead.

Suddenly I heard and ambulance siren in a distance. Usually whenever I hear an ambulance siren I get a little worried. The first thought that comes to my mind is ‘what are the people accompanying the patient, usually close relatives, going through at this moment?’. I make sure that I get out of the way as soon as possible and I have observed that so do all others on the road.

Today, however, when I heard the siren, I felt a lot more disturbed because I was acutely aware of the traffic jam. Very slowly the siren came closer and closer. I had already moved to the side of the road. Other vehicles too were trying to do the same. But, the traffic was really so packed that it was virtually impossible to make way. My anxiety started spiralling by the minute.

Now the ambulance was driving about 10 feet away, parallel to my motorcycle. At this point the traffic simply stopped moving…it was impossible to move. The ambulance started sounding an additional siren as well. I could see that people were trying to move away but couldn’t as there was no space at all. The two loud sirens made it amply clear how important it was for the ambulance to advance as quickly as possible. The road that we were on had no lanes or by-lanes through which the ambulance driver could take a detour.

At this point of time tears started streaming down my cheeks. I felt so helpless ! Those 5 minutes till the ambulance finally got a clear path to advance seemed like the longest 5 minutes ever to me. The strange thing is that I couldn't stop crying for a good 10 minutes after that.

Yesterday was one of those situations when things just aren't going right and it is nobody's fault really. You have no answers. It made me feel so helpless and frustrated !

Comments

aanand said…
hota hain frd..u cant do much abt it. tc

Popular posts from this blog

How NOT to compère a function

Recently I attended an awards ceremony. It was a grand function with a huge audience in attendance. Many awards were given and some speeches too. The compère was, unintentionally, terribly funny ! In this function, when the compère announced the first award winner, he announced, “Please welcome on stage Mr. X (pause) married to (pause) wife Mrs. X (pause) from 1977 and successfully (pause) completed 32 years of (pause) married life…” I had tears in my eyes from laughing too hard :D Later, the same compère, while telling the audiences about a certain award winner, said, “…he is married (pause) to wife Mrs. Z (pause) and enjoys playing with his (pause) children K and M. His favourite (pause) holiday destination is (pause) the beaches (pronounced as ‘bitches’) of (pause) Goa” I nearly died choking with laughter for this one ! In the 45 minutes that he was on stage he was responsible for much hilarity due to his totally inappropriate commentary. I, of course, laughed my guts out and what c

‘Geographically challenged’

I laughed my guts out while reading this . Then I had another bout of laughter thinking of all the incidents that happen with me. For a long time now I have known that I am, what I like to call, ‘geographically challenged’ :) Situation 1 - If I go inside a building (happens mostly with residential buildings), then after I exit the lift (elevator) or come down the stairs, I cannot quickly locate the gate ! Situation 2 - If I am inside a building, I will routinely point in wrong directions to indicate places outside the building. Situation 3 - I am presently at office. I have come here from home. Now I have to go to some place where I have always gone from home and never from office. What do I do ? I go home first and from there I go to that place. It doesn’t matter if it is a longer distance or takes more time. I have to do this, because simply have no mechanism to re-align my mental map to my present location ! Situation 4 - Another thing is that if I have come to your place in

Love in the rains :)

Heart shaped ditch on a construction site next to our office building ! Closer view of the 'heart' ! You can find love in the most unusual places ! :)