Skip to main content

What I wanted to be when I grew up (…and what I have become) :)


When we are children, each of us gets asked this question, "What do you want to become when you grow up ?", and, depending on whatever has taken our fancy at that moment, our answer changes.

Just like everybody else, I went through a lot of 'things I wanted to be when I grew up'…and for sometimes funny and sometimes strange reasons.

My earliest wish, if I remember correctly, was to become a teacher. I would always gather the children in the society and make them students and teach them all I had learnt at school that day. Naturally, in that phase of mine, I wasn't a very popular girl :) So sometimes I had nobody to play with and yet I taught…to an empty class…such was my dedication :D

In one long phase I wanted to become a veterinary doctor (remember Dr. James Herriot ?) and cure all the little doggies. I wouldn't have minded being a conservationist either, like Gerald Durell. I was even serious about being a zookeeper…or in the least a caretaker of elephant babies or chimpanzee babies. (That, I think, I could still do…ahhhh…some day…). I simply love animals, especially dogs, elephants and chimpanzees. So these wishes were driven by that love.

The longest standing desire was 'being an actress'…in fact, even when I was too young to know that there was such a thing as 'being an actress', I was quite the actress.

At one point of time I wanted to become an air-hostess. Guess why ? To serve people ? To earn money ? Naaah ! So that I could travel the world over.

In relation to that desire, there was one more occupation that I was totally enamoured with and would have loved to take up…that of a travel show host. You see so many different places, meet different people, experience different cultures and all this while there are some people who pay you to go there, stay there, eat well, look good, say things they have researched and written…I mean, this is the life, isn't it ?

For the longest time I wanted to 'go to office'…and do what, I didn't have the faintest idea…but the whole idea of getting dressed, wearing a watch, rushing out of the house while stuffing breakfast in your mouth saying, "I have to reach office early today…I have important meetings" presented the most attractive picture to me :D

I wanted to be a spectacular dancer…to 'enthral' the audience with my performance. I love the grace and flow and spirit that a good dancer exudes.

I wanted to be a fabulous singer…to move the audience with my singing.

And what have I become now that I am grown up ?

I do go to office, decently dressed up, not wearing a watch (the mobile phone serves the purpose), not stuffing breakfast in my mouth and very rarely spouting filmy clichés about meetings.

I have become an actress…in theatre. I am so glad that this desire fructified :)

I also have become somewhat of a teacher…I conduct theatre workshops and I have taught French.

I have developed a good ear for music and I can hold a tune, but I'm far from 'moving' any audience :)

I have yet to travel and care for animals, to learn dance, but I haven't yet given up on them. After all, tomorrow is another day…and, here's the secret…I'm still not grown up really ;)

Comments

Ai Ling said…
Hey, that's a whole lot of achievements! Keep it up, I'm sure you'll be able to achieve the rest and more ;-)
This was a great post. Brought me back to all the things I wanted to be. I think the most amusing was the phase where i wanted to be a professioal colorer or color books, and so what it that career didn't exist:P I've done so many things now and I'm not thirty yet. I'm still trying to figure out what i want to be when I grow up
The Wanderer said…
:) Thanks Ai Ling...I sure hope I can keep up with my ever growing list of things I want to be !

Thanks Sarah :) 'Colorer or color books' ? So sweet ! :)
Josie said…
You're so lucky you had all these things you wanted to do. I had no idea- none. I thought maybe a vet, like James Herriot- loved his books. But that's all the inspiration I had.
In fact, even when I was grownup I still didn't know what I wanted to do.
Now I know of course, I want to be a blogger!!!! :-)
The Wanderer said…
:) Hey Josie...actually, I still toy with the idea of changing professions completely...but can't find the courage in me to make the jump. And, what do you mean you want to be a blogger ? You already are ! :)

Popular posts from this blog

How NOT to compère a function

Recently I attended an awards ceremony. It was a grand function with a huge audience in attendance. Many awards were given and some speeches too. The compère was, unintentionally, terribly funny ! In this function, when the compère announced the first award winner, he announced, “Please welcome on stage Mr. X (pause) married to (pause) wife Mrs. X (pause) from 1977 and successfully (pause) completed 32 years of (pause) married life…” I had tears in my eyes from laughing too hard :D Later, the same compère, while telling the audiences about a certain award winner, said, “…he is married (pause) to wife Mrs. Z (pause) and enjoys playing with his (pause) children K and M. His favourite (pause) holiday destination is (pause) the beaches (pronounced as ‘bitches’) of (pause) Goa” I nearly died choking with laughter for this one ! In the 45 minutes that he was on stage he was responsible for much hilarity due to his totally inappropriate commentary. I, of course, laughed my guts out and what c

‘Geographically challenged’

I laughed my guts out while reading this . Then I had another bout of laughter thinking of all the incidents that happen with me. For a long time now I have known that I am, what I like to call, ‘geographically challenged’ :) Situation 1 - If I go inside a building (happens mostly with residential buildings), then after I exit the lift (elevator) or come down the stairs, I cannot quickly locate the gate ! Situation 2 - If I am inside a building, I will routinely point in wrong directions to indicate places outside the building. Situation 3 - I am presently at office. I have come here from home. Now I have to go to some place where I have always gone from home and never from office. What do I do ? I go home first and from there I go to that place. It doesn’t matter if it is a longer distance or takes more time. I have to do this, because simply have no mechanism to re-align my mental map to my present location ! Situation 4 - Another thing is that if I have come to your place in

Love in the rains :)

Heart shaped ditch on a construction site next to our office building ! Closer view of the 'heart' ! You can find love in the most unusual places ! :)