Skip to main content

Unintentionally hilarious people !


Last evening I met up an ex-student, and now a dear friend, H for coffee. When we walked out of the restaurant, H walked me to my motorcycle. We stood there for another couple of minutes, chatting.

Suddenly I sensed movement to my right. I turned to find this roly-poly, fair guy in blue jeans and a red-striped T-shirt standing about two feet away from me to my right. At the same time as I turned to look, he leaned in and unabashedly stared at me ! I was so taken aback ! I looked him in the eye and said, “Excuse me ?” Then he straightened up, stepped back, smiled at me and said, “Sorry…sorry…” as he retreated.

Assuming he had mistaken me for somebody else, I smiled back and muttered, “Its OK”…only to be completely thrown off-balance by what he said next ! As he walked away, he offered, as an explanation, “I thought you were a foreigner”.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HUH ????? WHAT ?????

H & I doubled over with laughter. I laughed so loudly and so hard that tears started streaming down my cheeks.

Well…by Indian standards, I can be termed fair, and when I wear a scarf (which I was, at that time), sometimes I do look Parsi…or even east-European…with my high cheek-bones. So, that I might have seemed like a foreigner to him, doesn’t surprise me that much. But his whole demeanour…the way he came close, leaned in, stared hard and to top it all, his punch-line cracked us up totally !

After a few minutes when our laughter subsided a bit, H and I were indignant and mirthful at the same time.

So, despite the intense humour you managed to create in our lives and despite giving us a neat anecdote to share with all and laugh about, I still have some (well-meaning) advice to offer to you, Mr. Roly-Poly Red T-Shirt ! Here it is:

1) No matter what, you DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT stare at foreigners. They are simply from another country, NOT another planet. In fact, you simply DO NOT stare at people. It is bad manners.

2) And, should you want to take a long, hard, look at somebody, NEVER do it in so obvious a manner. Here’s what you could do - Walk past that person a couple of times and cast glances at them. They will know that you are ‘checking them out’ but not get offended / startled / freaked out.

And I also have something else to say to you…

“Dude !!! Seriously !!!! HUH ????? WHAT ?????”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How NOT to compère a function

Recently I attended an awards ceremony. It was a grand function with a huge audience in attendance. Many awards were given and some speeches too. The compère was, unintentionally, terribly funny ! In this function, when the compère announced the first award winner, he announced, “Please welcome on stage Mr. X (pause) married to (pause) wife Mrs. X (pause) from 1977 and successfully (pause) completed 32 years of (pause) married life…” I had tears in my eyes from laughing too hard :D Later, the same compère, while telling the audiences about a certain award winner, said, “…he is married (pause) to wife Mrs. Z (pause) and enjoys playing with his (pause) children K and M. His favourite (pause) holiday destination is (pause) the beaches (pronounced as ‘bitches’) of (pause) Goa” I nearly died choking with laughter for this one ! In the 45 minutes that he was on stage he was responsible for much hilarity due to his totally inappropriate commentary. I, of course, laughed my guts out and what c

‘Geographically challenged’

I laughed my guts out while reading this . Then I had another bout of laughter thinking of all the incidents that happen with me. For a long time now I have known that I am, what I like to call, ‘geographically challenged’ :) Situation 1 - If I go inside a building (happens mostly with residential buildings), then after I exit the lift (elevator) or come down the stairs, I cannot quickly locate the gate ! Situation 2 - If I am inside a building, I will routinely point in wrong directions to indicate places outside the building. Situation 3 - I am presently at office. I have come here from home. Now I have to go to some place where I have always gone from home and never from office. What do I do ? I go home first and from there I go to that place. It doesn’t matter if it is a longer distance or takes more time. I have to do this, because simply have no mechanism to re-align my mental map to my present location ! Situation 4 - Another thing is that if I have come to your place in

Love in the rains :)

Heart shaped ditch on a construction site next to our office building ! Closer view of the 'heart' ! You can find love in the most unusual places ! :)