Skip to main content

Values

It’s strange how I never noticed it before…the guard standing at the entrance of the office parking area saluting me as I entered and left each day on my bike. I guess he salutes everyone, every day. Last week I suddenly noticed it and felt some odd feeling arise in me…a niggling feeling. I couldn’t put my finger on it but it stayed with me the next day too, enforced by that day’s salutes. From the second day I started acknowledging the salute by a nod and smile. The third evening as I left office, as I nodded and smiled at him when he saluted me, it struck me what had been bothering me.
 
It bothered me that he salutes me as if I were superior to him. Just because I work at a better paying job than him or am better educated than him doesn’t automatically make him inferior or me superior. One could argue that it is a part of his job. I don’t think so. His job as a Security Guard for the parking lot is to watch over our vehicles and ensure that they remain safe at all times. Perhaps it wouldn’t bother me if saluting people as they enter and exit were an additional service that the job profile entails and that he provides gratis. But it is not. It’s servile behaviour. I feel it has been ingrained into us for generations by our society. I think he doesn’t mind saluting us at all. That is the extent to which we are conditioned.
 
I have observed that behaving rudely with waiters, maidservants, drivers etc. is quite common since it is considered that they work at ‘inferior’ jobs and are less educated. I just don’t think it is right.
 
I think that as a society, our ideas of superior and inferior work are pretty flawed. I will not deny the broader outlook that education can bring to the table, but it is not a one hundred percent guarantee of wisdom or even a broader outlook for that matter. Also, I think that the respect accorded to a person ought to be from one human to another and not because of or despite factors such as financial, educational, hierarchical etc. status. And what about kindness ? Why does it have to depend on superficial parameters ?

I spoke about this to a friend and she remarked that I am blowing it out of proportion and that I should try to ‘keep it light’, as she puts it. I agree that thinking overly about all this will only use up all my mental energy and there will be no difference in how others behave. I can only try to model my own behaviour on values that I find important. To that extent, yes, I will try to limit my thoughts. However, I consider respect and kindness to be basic human values. I take them quite seriously.

What is your take on the whole thing ?

Comments

Swapnali said…
So very true. I find Canadians very 'well-behaved' in this matter. People usually do not judge a person from what they do for a living. They tend to maintain the formal 'at-par' treatment whether it be a door-man or cabbie or a higher official. However, over-doing respect for higher authorities, could also be a problem.
aanand said…
hey nice blog.i dont know u but still i like ur blog.Life is all abt giving repsect to others. n u did rieghtly so.once i was chatting with canteenwala. he told me 1000 people come n go.. but only few people talk.thats what he matters.Respect.thx

Popular posts from this blog

How NOT to compère a function

Recently I attended an awards ceremony. It was a grand function with a huge audience in attendance. Many awards were given and some speeches too. The compère was, unintentionally, terribly funny ! In this function, when the compère announced the first award winner, he announced, “Please welcome on stage Mr. X (pause) married to (pause) wife Mrs. X (pause) from 1977 and successfully (pause) completed 32 years of (pause) married life…” I had tears in my eyes from laughing too hard :D Later, the same compère, while telling the audiences about a certain award winner, said, “…he is married (pause) to wife Mrs. Z (pause) and enjoys playing with his (pause) children K and M. His favourite (pause) holiday destination is (pause) the beaches (pronounced as ‘bitches’) of (pause) Goa” I nearly died choking with laughter for this one ! In the 45 minutes that he was on stage he was responsible for much hilarity due to his totally inappropriate commentary. I, of course, laughed my guts out and what c

‘Geographically challenged’

I laughed my guts out while reading this . Then I had another bout of laughter thinking of all the incidents that happen with me. For a long time now I have known that I am, what I like to call, ‘geographically challenged’ :) Situation 1 - If I go inside a building (happens mostly with residential buildings), then after I exit the lift (elevator) or come down the stairs, I cannot quickly locate the gate ! Situation 2 - If I am inside a building, I will routinely point in wrong directions to indicate places outside the building. Situation 3 - I am presently at office. I have come here from home. Now I have to go to some place where I have always gone from home and never from office. What do I do ? I go home first and from there I go to that place. It doesn’t matter if it is a longer distance or takes more time. I have to do this, because simply have no mechanism to re-align my mental map to my present location ! Situation 4 - Another thing is that if I have come to your place in

Love in the rains :)

Heart shaped ditch on a construction site next to our office building ! Closer view of the 'heart' ! You can find love in the most unusual places ! :)