Skip to main content

Of friends and friendships


There must be about a million quotes that describe, some with great precision, what friends are and what friendships are. When I read them, I identify with most of them and think about the ones that I don’t identify with. But none manage to touch the core of my heart. My heart ‘knows’ only when it experiences.


I have always been super-sensitive towards and about my friends and friendships. It is only of late that I have become totally secure. I do not know how and when the realisation came from within that, true friends and friendships are beyond any small upheavals that may happen in our individual or collective lives. I believe this realisation came as I became clearer in my mind that my involvement in my friends and my friendships is unshakeable, no matter what; And also with the realisation that like everything else, relationships and people change and thus if some friends or friendships don’t last, they no longer are. It is alright. However, for certain friends or friendships, there is a continuous, uninterrupted flow…like some rivers…sometimes over the ground and sometimes under…but, continuous, uninterrupted.


A very close friend has just gone away for a year across the seas for higher studies. For a brief while my mind took over and my focus shifted to the short-term…the year when he will be away and how and how much I shall miss him…and I was distraught. Then my heart barged in with its wisdom gathered from experience and I became secure again in the knowledge that distance and time spent apart are inconsequential, that friendship remains, that what we feel for each other remains.


On the long weekend that just passed, I contacted a very close friend after ages. She too was free on Sunday. We spent a very satisfying and lazy day bonding, sharing and catching up. There was no pressure, neither of time, nor of work, nor of the missing months of conversations and connection. I experienced again what I have come to believe and trust in…that this friendship is so deep that distance and time spent apart are inconsequential, that friendship remains, that what we feel for each other remains.


It is like knowing that the core will always remain despite anything that happens on the surface. Quite like the spirit, the soul, that is indestructible.

Comments

Seema Smile said…
Although you start of by saying that words can't describe friendships effectively, you go on to do just that beautifully.
Nice read :-)
Swapnali said…
This is very true... very nicely written and well put.

You can see the bond in the eyes of a person regardless of the change or the time passed.
The Wanderer said…
Thank you so much Seema :)

Thanks Swapnali...and you are so right...I truly believe that the eyes are the window to the soul :)
Diwakar Sinha said…
hmm...yeah i can very easily relate to that..
reading it actually reminded me of some select friends only...wonder if that means something
The Wanderer said…
Hi Diwakar :) I guess it reminded you of friends with whom you share an unbroken connection...and in my experience, such friends are few. Thanks for dropping by.
Anz said…
I agree...even though there are many people who come to your life and qualify in the 'friends' list. However, the one's who survive right through all the obstacles, be it distance, busy time schedules, plans never working out, are the one's that go on to last forever. These are the one's I don't have to think twice for picking up the phone after months and connecting with them instantly. That is friendship.

Very well put together and the
essence explained.
The Wanderer said…
Thanks :)

"don't have to think twice ....connecting with them instantly."

Exactly ! :)

Popular posts from this blog

How NOT to compère a function

Recently I attended an awards ceremony. It was a grand function with a huge audience in attendance. Many awards were given and some speeches too. The compère was, unintentionally, terribly funny ! In this function, when the compère announced the first award winner, he announced, “Please welcome on stage Mr. X (pause) married to (pause) wife Mrs. X (pause) from 1977 and successfully (pause) completed 32 years of (pause) married life…” I had tears in my eyes from laughing too hard :D Later, the same compère, while telling the audiences about a certain award winner, said, “…he is married (pause) to wife Mrs. Z (pause) and enjoys playing with his (pause) children K and M. His favourite (pause) holiday destination is (pause) the beaches (pronounced as ‘bitches’) of (pause) Goa” I nearly died choking with laughter for this one ! In the 45 minutes that he was on stage he was responsible for much hilarity due to his totally inappropriate commentary. I, of course, laughed my guts out and what c

‘Geographically challenged’

I laughed my guts out while reading this . Then I had another bout of laughter thinking of all the incidents that happen with me. For a long time now I have known that I am, what I like to call, ‘geographically challenged’ :) Situation 1 - If I go inside a building (happens mostly with residential buildings), then after I exit the lift (elevator) or come down the stairs, I cannot quickly locate the gate ! Situation 2 - If I am inside a building, I will routinely point in wrong directions to indicate places outside the building. Situation 3 - I am presently at office. I have come here from home. Now I have to go to some place where I have always gone from home and never from office. What do I do ? I go home first and from there I go to that place. It doesn’t matter if it is a longer distance or takes more time. I have to do this, because simply have no mechanism to re-align my mental map to my present location ! Situation 4 - Another thing is that if I have come to your place in

Love in the rains :)

Heart shaped ditch on a construction site next to our office building ! Closer view of the 'heart' ! You can find love in the most unusual places ! :)